Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2016

Flashback Friday| Life In NICU

Being the mommy of a child in the NICU brings on a lot of anxiety that in my opinion, cannot be avoided. Things that helped to set my mind at ease and made me feel like I was helping:

Checking in| Reminding myself that if I EVER wanted to know how she was doing... even in the wee horse of the night/morning, I could call her nurse and get information.

Keep Pumping| in the earlier weeks we weren't able to nurse so keeping my pumping schedule was a must to ensure her supply was plenty at the hospital. 






Kangaroo Care| Once the green light was given, I held her every chance I got. Skin to skin not only benefited her but made me feel more like a mom.








Being hands on| it took me a while but eventually assisted in every way possibly when visiting with Button: diaper changes, hand hugs to keep her calm for her assessments, feedings, etc. I was always asking to help once I got past the "I don't want to hurt her" phase.

Journaling| I not only had a journal, but a calendar that helped me document Button's progress and count the days; from assessments to small messages to her, I wrote whenever I felt moved to do so.

1 comment: