Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2016

Easy DIY| Sensory Gel Mat

Hey hey!

Being a new mommy and being a mommy to a child that is still small, I have been listening very carefully to Button's pediatrician and physical therapist on what we can do to help with her development. 



One thing that I really want to take on is DIY projects that she can use because most of them are cost effective and... I LOVE TO CREATE!

Now that Button is improving in her motor skills, I wanted to go ahead and make her a sensory gel mat to help her out and to give her something to be interested in during tummy time.

What You Will Need: 
  • Large or Jumbo freezer bags
  • Hair Gel
  • Pom Poms (or anything soft )
  • Duct Tape
  • Clean place to work
Luckily, I found all the items that needed/wanted at Dollar Tree (>>>click here<<< for my Dollar Tree Mini Haul)




Step 1| Pour
Take your freezer bag and fill it with hair gel. I was able to find Jumbo bags and clear hair gel but feel free to use whatever you are able to find. With the bag being larger, I purchased 2 bottles of gel.







Step 2| Add
Now that the gel has been poured, you can add your "entertainment". I chose to use soft pom poms however, you can use round buttons, foam figures...Again, whatever your able to find that is soft, flat and will NOT puncture the bag.





Step 3| Close
Now that all of your items are in the bag, ensure you have taken out as much air as possible and close it up. Something that assisted me in closing the bag was rolling the opening of the bag down one time after closing it and then applying my duct tape along the top to keep the bag folded down







Step 4| Complete
Now that the bag is closed, you can use more duct tape to create border around the bag. I doubled the layer of tape to enforce the bags edges. 



And now your little one has a new toy to play with. It was fun to make and keeps Button's attention while we trick her into a little tummy time. 

Have you ever made a sensory gel mat? If so, what items did you use and where did you find them?




No comments:

Post a Comment